+ A breast pump is a mechanical device that lactating women use to extract milk from their breasts.
+ They may be manual devices powered by hand or foot movements or automatic devices powered by electricity.
+ This use of breast milk is widespread in the United States, where paid family leave is one of the shortest in the developed world.
+ Mechanically, a breast pump triggers the milk ejection response or “letdown”. A misconception is that the breast pump suctions milk out of the breast.
Best Breast Pumps of 2020
1/ Spectra S1 Plus Electric Breast Pump
Loved by moms and lactation consultants worldwide, the Spectra S1 Plus soft blue electric breast pump is designed to bring confidence and comfort to every moment of the breastfeeding journey. The S1 which is portable and rechargeable, is also quiet and discreet for soothing pumping, and yet weighs only 3 lbs. Our Founder, Heidi Humphries, insisted on the quietest motor available for the S1 Plus, which when in the “massage mode” simulates the natural suckling of baby. Spectra Baby spent years developing features for the S1 Plus like “backflow protection” to keep your breast milk from harmful bacteria. We thought hard about things like “adjustable suction levels” because that provides a more natural flow of milk.
We are Moms. We are Nurses. We Understand.
- Single or Double Pump capability
- Vacuum suction up to L12
- 270 mmHg
- Weighs only 3 lbs
- Built in night-light
- LCD screen
- ( 2 ) Years Warranty on pump | 90 days on accessories
2/ Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with On-the-Go Tote
Pump In Style Advanced is a double electric breast pump designed for moms who pump several times a day. Like every Medela product, the award-winning Pump in Style is designed to make breastfeeding easier, so you can feed your baby with amazing breast milk for longer.
Trusted performance from the #1 recommended breast pump brand*, Pump in Style has been the first choice of millions of moms for more than two decades. Designed for moms who pump several times a day, Medela’s breast pumps work more like breastfeeding babies to deliver the milk you need to provide for your baby even when you’re not there.
- 2-Phase Expression technology with one-touch let-down button: Medela breast pumps feature research-based and patented 2-Phase Expression technology which is shown to get more milk when double pumping**
- Double-electric breast pump: Designed for moms who pump several times a day
- On-the-go Tote & Backpack have a built-in pump
The Metro Bag has a removable pump: For portable, discreet pumping
- Three stylish microfiber bags to choose from (On-the-go-tote, Backpack, or the Metro Bag): Holds everything you need to pump
- Battery pack (The Metro Bag’s is in a soft pouch): Lets you pump anywhere, anytime (8 AA batteries not included)
- Single knob speed/vacuum adjustments: For comfortable pump settings
- Removable cooler bag with contoured ice pack: Holds 4 breast milk bottles and ice pack to keep breast milk bottles cool
- All parts that touch breast milk are made without BPA: Safe for you and your baby
- On-the-go Tote also features:
– Built-in bottle holders
– Tubing storage pocket: Help prevent spills and keeps tubing organized between pumping sessions
- The Metro Bag also features:
– Two sizes of PersonalFit™ breast shields
– Removable pump in a separate bag
– Work surface and mesh storage bags: For pumping and transport flexibility
- Dual voltage: 110-240v allows mom to pump while traveling outside the United States
3/ Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
Harmony is a single, manual breast pump designed for occasional time away from baby.
- 2-Phase Expression® technology is proven to produce more milk in less time.*
- The best selling manual breast pump.1
- Single manual pump: For occasional time away from baby
- 2-Phase Expression Technology: More milk in less time when pumping at Maximum Comfort Vacuum™ in the Expression phase
- Soft-touch, ergonomic swivel handle: For comfort
- 24 mm PersonalFit™ breast shield: Other sizes available separately
- Bottle stand: Helps prevent spills
- Safe for mom and baby: All parts that come into contact with breast milk are made without BPA
- IMPORTANT: If you experience discomfort while pumping, contact a lactation professional. You may need a larger size PersonalFit™ breastshield to reduce the possibility of nipple irritation or injury.
- IMPORTANT: This product is a single user item. Use by more than one user may pose a health risk, performance questions, and voids the warranty
4/ Haakaa Breast Pump
The Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump is made of a single piece of 100% silicone and provides an easy, eco-friendly and effective pumping experience! Forget large, loud and complicated automatic pumps that cost hundreds and need to be pulled to pieces and cleaned thoroughly every time you use them – the Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump will change your life! Its compact size fits perfectly into any handbag or baby bag and requires no hard work to use.
The Haakaa Breast Pump is perfect for long-distance trips, planes, car rides, family BBQ’s or anywhere you would like to express discreetly, silently and quickly. Just place over your breast and let the pump do the work for you as it draws your milk using suction. It’s 100% eco-friendly and is safe for mum, baby and our environment.
- Express breast milk using the power of natural suction!
- Soft and comfortable 100% food grade silicone.
- Compact size to fit perfectly into any handbag or baby bag.
- No cords, batteries or assembly required.
- 100ml capacity.
- Easy to use and clean.
- BPA, PVC and phthalate-free.
5/ Medela Symphony Breast Pump
Symphony is Medela’s latest innovation in hospital-grade electric double pumps. With breakthrough 2-Phase Expression pumping, Symphony is proven to reduce pumping time through faster let-down and milk flow and remove as much milk as a breastfeeding baby. Symphony implements the results of extensive research on electric breast pumps initiated by Medela and conducted by internationally renowned lactation researcher Peter Hartmann, Ph.D.
- 2-Phase Expression® technology: Designed to mimic a baby’s natural nursing rhythm.
- Convenient: Single or double pumping.
- Two separate, independent membrane units: Allows switching between single and double pumping by simply applying or removing the second collection kit to the breast.
- Let-down button: Moms can easily return to stimulation by pressing the let-down button.
- Initiate and maintain milk supply: If direct breastfeeding is not possible, as well as collect breast milk at work or during other absences from the baby.
- Hospital grade (multi-user): The pump’s kit is separate from the pumping mechanism and protected from overflow by a specially designed membrane.