+ A decongestant, or nasal decongestant, is a type of pharmaceutical drug that is used to relieve nasal congestion in the upper respiratory tract.
+ The active ingredient in most decongestants is either pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine.
+ Topical decongestants on topical application as dilute solution produce local vasoconstriction.
+ Decongestants can be absorbed from the nose via an inhaler and produce systemic effects, mainly central nervous system stimulation and rise in blood pressure.
+ Expectorants such as guaifenesin are a related type of drug which help to clear mucus.
Best Sinus Decongestants of 2020
1/ Flonase Allergy Relief Nasal Spray
WHY CHOOSE FLONASE?
Most allergy pills don’t finish the job because they don’t relieve nasal congestion. FLONASE relieves the worst allergy symptoms, including nasal congestion, plus sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, and runny nose.
- More complete allergy symptom relief
- The #1 prescribed allergy medicine from the #1 doctor recommended brand in allergy relief.
- Outperforms the #1 Non-Drowsy Allergy Pill
*Mechanism vs most over-the-counter (OTC) allergy pills. FLONASE nasal sprays act on multiple inflammatory substances (histamine, prostaglandis, cytokine, tryptases, chemokine, and leukotrienes). The exact number and precise mechanism are unknown.
**Based on IMS Health Monthly TRx Allergy Market for 12-month period ending 2/28/18.
2/ GoodSense Nasal Decongestant
Good sense nasal decongestant phenylephrine HCl 10 mg tablets temporarily relieves nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies. Compare to Sudafed PE nasal decongestant active ingredients.
- Compare to Sudafed PE nasal decongestant active ingredient
- Temporarily relieves sinus congestion and pressure
- Maximum strength
- 1 pill/dose
3/ Sudafed PE Pressure + Pain + Relief
Get relief from allergy symptoms—including nasal congestion and sinus pressure.
- Available in packs of 24 & 48
- Lactose Free
- Gluten Free
- Alcohol Free
- Saccharin Sodium Free
- Relieves: Blocked and runny noses
- Relieves: Sinus pain
- Relieves: Allergy and hayfever symptoms
Who can use this product
Adults and children 12 years and over:
2 tablets every 4 – 6 hours when necessary.
Maximum 8 tablets in 24 hours.
4/ NasalCrom Nasal Allergy Symptom Controller
When using this product
• it may take several days of use to notice an effect. Your best effect may not be seen for 1
to 2 weeks.
• brief nasal stinging and/or sneezing may occur right after use
• do not use it to treat sinus infection, asthma, or cold symptoms
• do not share this bottle with anyone else as this may spread germs
• see package insert on how to use pump
• parent or care provider must supervise the use of this product by young children
• adults and children 2 years and older:
• spray once into each nostril. Repeat 3-4 times a day (every 4-6 hours). If needed, may
be used up to 6 times a day.
• use every day while in contact with the cause of your allergies (pollen, molds, pets, and
• to prevent nasal allergy symptoms, use before contact with the cause of your allergies.
For best results, start using one to two weeks before contact.
• if desired, you can use this product with other medicines, including other allergy
• children under 2 years: Do not use unless directed by a doctor
5/ Mucinex Sinus-Max Night Time Relief Liquid
Warnings: For adult indications, do not use for children under 12 years of age; if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (certain drugs for depression, psychiatric or emotional conditions, or Parkinson”s disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product. Ask a doctor before use if you have persistent or chronic cough such as occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema; cough accompanied by too much phlegm (mucus). When using this product: do not use more than directed. Stop use and ask a doctor if: cough lasts more than 7 days, comes back, or occurs with fever, rash or persistent headache. These could be signs of a serious illness. Pregnancy/breast-feeding warning: If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use. Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
6/ Afrin Original Nasal Spray
Get fast, powerful nasal congestion relief! instantly, Original Maximum-Strength Afrin Nasal Spray can have you breathing better. No wonder it’s the #1 doctor and pharmacist recommended nasal decongestant spray for congestion caused by colds and allergies. Afrin nasal spray:
- Works for 12 hours
- Provides nasal congestion relief due to colds or allergies